a creative momentum project is a €2m, 3-year (2015-2018) transnational project to support the creative industries sector across Europe’s Northern Edge. It is funded by the EU’s Northern Periphery & Arctic (NPA) Programme.
Why is a creative momentum project happening?
Creative industry entrepreneurs, artists and craftspeople working in the NPA area face challenges, such as limited networking opportunities and low export activity, because of their peripheral location. The creative sector contributes to sustainable regional and rural development and has potential for future growth. a creative momentum project assists creative entrepreneurs to address the challenges and sustain and develop their business.
Who does a creative momentum project support?
a creative momentum project supports individuals and enterprises working in the creative and cultural industries. The activities covered are Arts, Craft, Design and Media & Technology. It covers regions in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Sweden and Finland. The areas covered are:
- West of Ireland (counties Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Mayo, Galway and Clare)
- Northern Ireland (Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon Borough Council, Ards & North Down Borough Council, and Newry, Mourne & Down District Council areas)
- Mid-Sweden (Västernorrland)
- Northern Finland (Lapland, North Ostrobothnia)
- Iceland (North East)
What does a creative momentum project do?
a creative momentum project supports artists, craftspeople and creative sector enterprises to:
- develop their creative and business skills and innovate new product/service ideas by providing mentoring, new online knowledge resources and supporting collaborative product, service and organisational innovation;
- connect with other creatives to develop new opportunities locally, regionally and transnationally by supporting shared spaces, events and gatherings; and
- get their products and services to market by supporting them to attend Trade Fairs and showcase their work online and to the tourist market.
a creative momentum project conducts research on the processes operating in the sector to improve understanding of the sector’s needs and make the case for public policy to support the sector.
How can a creative momentum project support be accessed?
Anyone working in the creative sector can participate in:
- Creative Exchanges (information and networking events on a range of topics) held in all regions.
- MyCreativeEdge.eu to showcase their work internationally by creating a free online profile and also accessing new knowledge resources and networks.
- Creative Trails featuring any creative businesses open to visitors (Iceland and Northern Ireland only).
Other a creative momentum project supports are available through open calls for applications on www.mycreativeedge.eu (not all supports will be available in all regions). These include:
- Creative2Creative Matching: Online knowledge sharing with a peer in another region.
- Creative Steps 2.0: Innovation support for new product/service ideas.
- Creative Hotspots: Support to attend established creative industry events in Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Northern Ireland and Ireland.
- International Trade Fairs: Support to exhibit at a Trade Fair/Show/Festival anywhere in Europe (50% of cost, support of max. €2,500).
- Video Pitching: Support to produce a short ‘pitch video’ (50% of cost, support of max. €1,500).
Who runs a creative momentum project?
The project is operated by six partner organisations:
- Western Development Commission (WDC), Ireland
- National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG), Ireland
- Cultural Council of North East Iceland, Iceland
- Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon Borough Council, Northern Ireland on behalf of the South East Economic Development group
- Technichus Mid-Sweden Ltd, Sweden
- Lapland University of Applied Sciences, Finland